Saturday 10 May 2014

Hit The Road, Jack: Version Me

Hello...it's been what seems like a quasi-eternity since I have posted anything at all on this blog. Like all my interests, they pass and return...the eternal ebb and flow. I am thankful I have remained so committed to running for the last 2 years. I think maybe it was the fact I had so little to say over the last year. It has been a whirlwind. Upset apple carts and whatnot. Endless reflection in the past while has prompted me to make some changes; mostly major, and hopefully for the better, to get things back on track. I will try to avoid sounding self-serving as I write this, but I guarantee nothing.

I have recently decided to move on from a job that I have held for the last 14 years, on and off (but mostly "on"). Feelings of stagnancy and spinning my wheels in vain had supplanted the joy, passion and gratifying sense of accomplishment I had once felt toiling in the very same role. Things changed. Circumstances changed. People changed. The whole playing-field became razed...not unlike a modern day scorched earth. The collective vision of the powers-that-be, in my estimation, became fragmented and disjointed...even corrupted. The confidence people once had in me had somehow been replaced by some pseudo-delusion of malcontent...either perceived or real (the jury is still hung on that one).  The trickle down of all this is what you see here before you. I suppose this sort of thing is inevitable...expected, if you will...especially after all these years. But it made the decision to move on no less difficult. The decision to leave something so comfortable and routine and step outside of my self-imposed box was very challenging. It seems the old dog needs to learn a few new tricks...and in turn, make a few concessions...to make status quo moving forward. Ain't nothing like a good life overhaul to shake things up a bit.

At the end of the day, in my wake, I have left something I will miss dearly. There were so many pros and cons, but at the end, it seems I have made a decision for the better. This view is shared unanimously with my colleagues...ones who are, like me *now*, on the outside peering in. I suppose only time will tell as I plunge headlong into the great unknown...that swirling, gaping abyss of which I have gambled a great deal on. Who knows? This could be the greatest thing I have ever done, or it could possibly be the biggest misstep I have ever taken. The  mistake was mine to make. Can't ever wonder what it would be like on the other side if one doesn't ever dream of taking the risk. This one was many years in the making...whether I was willing to admit that to myself or not.

I would like to thank all those who have stuck by my side throughout the years. Their hard work, determination and loyalty were all driving forces to me. I reserve a special place in my heart for each and every person who fought the good fight with me each and every day.

The old cliche holds true. Everyone is replaceable. And it seems I will be too, in time.

Thanks for everything!

-D

No comments:

Post a Comment